Churches in the Area:
St. Matthew's, South Slocan
3370 Village Road, South Slocan
"St. Matthew's is a small welcoming church family providing God's love in Christ through the Eucharist. We use our gifts to serve our parish, community and the world."
South Slocan was born in response to the gold and silver found in the mountains around the Kootenay River. For years, Colville Indians traveled up the Kootenay River for berries and salmon, establishing camps along the banks around the widening of the river at South Slocan. Remains of their pit houses are still in evidence today. Later came prospectors and the railway. West Kootenay Power and Light built five dams on the river to supply the smelter in Trail. South Slocan village was a bustling centre with stores, a school, hotels and two churches. The school now serves as a community hall and the stores and hotels are gone. Construction plans for St. Mathew’s were mailed from England to the volunteer crew one step at a time, like a correspondence course. Several delays occurred due to the slowness of the mail in wartime but the Church was finally completed in September 1914. Today, St. Matthew’s is the remaining Church in South Slocan village. It has an active Mutual Ministry Team and a locally ordained priest since May 1997.
Sundays services suspended until further notice
| Home | Site Map |
St. Saviour's Pro-Cathedral 701 Ward Street, Nelson, British Columbia, V1L 1T3 Canada